About Me

Friday 12 March 2010

Keep Calm and Carry On

I have the most fantastic relationship with my sister, well theoretically she is my half sister, but I never deal in halves, it isn't important. At sixteen she is everything I wish I had been at the same age. She would have been one of the girls I was jealous of: funny, confident, beautiful and popular. I am so proud of her and I'm enjoying watching her grow up and loving how close we are becoming.

Last night I took her to Wembley Arena to see the Stereophonics on their Keep Calm and Carry On tour as a birthday present. To be fair, Stereophonics are my favourite band and she isn't, or should I say wasn't that into them, but I thought it would be a great experience and good night out for her. Needless to say, after seeing the band and Kelly Jones she is now a fan with a crush.

I remember when I took her to her first gig a couple of years ago - Athlete at Southampton Guildhall, she wasn't interested in the band but spent the entire gig watching and looking at other people. I don't think she knew quite what to do and how to react. This time there was still a sense of wonderment but she screamed, sang and jumped with the rest of us. She wasn't as bothered as I was about the lack of space; I had a guy's hoodie in my face for most the night and found it hard to put my hands anywhere other than the air because they were on his bum (not sure is wife would have liked that), I had a girl behind me whose breasts were constantly in my back and the girl next to me who had a whopping great big handbag that shoved me at every opportunity and felt like I had a small child stuck to my hip. I mean, why would you take a great big bag and drape your great big coat over it to a gig, where you are stood squashed with others. Surely you think before hand at the practicality of it - or is that just me?

I find gigs a great place to people watch. There are the hardcore dedicated fans who have been to every night of the tour, have more than one t-shirt and have already been there and come back again, there are those who have never heard of the band and although you don't need to know the band to enjoy live music, some don't move a muscle and look as though they are hating every second. Last night there was a couple of tall guys who blocked our view who seemed to have a huge issue with us taking photos. I know you go to a gig to see the band and it is all about the music but the odd photo for posterity is fine. Unlike Massive Bag Girl who took pictures constantly and videoed most the gig. I was waiting for one more look from Tall Guy before I asked him what his problem was. Boobs in Back Girl fainted halfway through the gig and her boyfriend had to pick her up and carry her out. I felt slightly panicky for her but then revelled in the extra space.
The gig was one of the best I have been to, but then Stereophonics never fail to impress. Last night was the fifth time I have seen them and will be watching them again at V Festival in the summer. The band are amazing live and KJ voice always delivers sounding just the same as the albums. They were supported by Hip Parade who are from Glasgow and a great band to look out for.

All these times I spend with Flossy just bring us closer. Each time I learn something more about her and she trusts me with more information about her life and what she gets up to, which to be fair, is exactly what I did at sixteen. She is one of my best friends and someone who I confide in, she gives me great advice when it comes to love and relationships, and is very quick to keep telling me my time is running out and I need to find a man and have children. Thanks Flossy.

The gig ended with Dakota, streamers and ticket tape being blasted into the air and across the arena. A beautiful sight which I am pleased to have shared with my little sister. And, I bought a t-shirt on the way out!

No comments: